Financial peace is something that most people in America will never attain. People wreck their relationships, marriages, and lives with money every day, and never seem to learn the key to having peace with their finances.
I subscribe to a blog called Christian Personal Finance that has really helped Corey and I to get a grasp on our finances and not allow the “almighty dollar” to be ruler of our lives. One of their posts that I particularly like is titled, “5 Bible verses about money every Christian should know” and you can find it here.
My favorite verse on that post is Philippians 4:19, “And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.”
It’s easy to get caught up in putting our trust in our bank account or job instead of Jesus. By now you should know that the things of this earth are so fleeting that you could lose everything you own and all your money in a heartbeat, especially with the way the economy is. It is only in Jesus that we find true comfort in knowing that when we put our trust in Him, we can never lose, because Jesus always has our best interests at heart. Regardless if you DO lose all of your worldly possessions and money, your heavenly reward will be left untouched. Trusting that Jesus knows what is best for me helps me to have peace and not worry.
If everyday you say to yourself, “God will meet all of my needs,” and really believe that, you will have so much more peace within your life. Constantly worrying about your financial situation says to Jesus that you don’t really trust Him with your life and that you would rather try and control it yourself. Learning to rely on Jesus for your needs and desires isn’t easy, but if you rely on yourself or what you can control, your life will be filled with unnecessary worry and stress.
Here’s an assignment for you:
– Write down everything that you are worried about. Money, jobs, children, family, school, etc.
– Then, read the list aloud, and after every item, say aloud these bible verses:
Deu. 31:6: “So be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid and do not panic before them. For the Lord your God will personally go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you.
Matt. 6:26: “Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are?”
Isn’t having trust in Jesus so much better than worrying about situations – especially when you can’t control them? I tend to think so. =) The next time you find yourself worrying about something, read those bible verses above. Print them out, hang them on your bathroom mirror or refrigerator if you need to, just don’t get stuck in the trap of worry, because it will wreck you and leave you miserable. Choose peace in your life.
Here’s a few more awesome verses:
- Matt. 28:20b: “And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
- Isaiah 41:10: “Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.”
- Heb. 13:5-6: “Don’t love money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, ‘I will never fail you. I will never abandon you.’ So we can say with confidence, ‘The Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?’”
- Psalm 118:6: “The Lord is for me, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?”